Sunday 27 October 2013

The Star Wars: Familiar, But Different.

Star Wars. Everybody knows Star Wars. George Lucas' masterpiece has captivated millions around the world. Star Wars mania is everywhere. Do you know Star Wars? Of course you do. But do you know The Star Wars?

Where did it all come from? Darth Vader, did he always have the helmet? Han Solo, he was a green alien, what? The version of Star Wars that we all know and love wasn't Lucas' first rendition of the story. Oh no. So what was Lucas' initial story like? Every Star Wars fan yearns to know, to see the little seed from which the legacy has grown from. And now, thanks to Dark Horse Comics, we can.

'The Star Wars' is the créme de la créme for fans of Star Wars and comics. The Bible, so to speak. When I first saw #1 sitting there on the shelf in my local comic shop, I nearly tripped over myself in a rush to have it. I shouted "Take my money!" at staff, then hopped on my speeder bike and rushed home, just ahead of a sandstorm (slight exaggeration there). Anyway, net result was I bought the comic, read it, and was blown away. It. Is. Magnificent.



Where to start? The story is unbelievable. It is so familiar, yet still so different. And that makes it great. There is that feeling that you know the story, know the universe, which means you are already straight away engaged and attached to these characters. But then it is all new, different scenes, different names (although a lot of names that are in the finished Star Wars, just with different characters). The story also has that Star Wars type of storytelling, where it gracefully unfolds. I have heard some people complaining that the story is taking too long for anything to happen, but I believe it is moving at the perfect pace to enable the reader to thoroughly engage with and enjoy it.

Secondly, the art is awe-inspiring. Just look at that cover! Each panel is flawless, and the colouring is muted yet graceful. The illustrating of each character's face is what really makes the art fantastic, as you can immediately see what that character is feeling through flawless facial expressions. A big hand to the artists!


I've just finished #2, and it is as good, if not even better than the first! In this issue, we see the Death Star (although it has a different name) and boy is it big! The action comes thick and fast in this issue, and I will definitely have to read it again to catch everything that just bursts out at you through each stunning panel. My favourite part of this issue though was the first appearance of the two most likeable characters in the whole Star Wars universe. I won't say who, as I don't want to spoil the surprise, but lets just say that if I did want to tell you, it would be quite easy, as "I am fluent in over six million forms of communication"!

Hope you are enjoying the blog so far, and keep an eye out for more of 'The Star Wars'!


No comments:

Post a Comment