Saturday 19 October 2013

Superman/Wonder Woman #1

Alright, so I've just finished the awesome first issue of Superman/Wonder Woman, and just thought I'd share some quick thoughts about it.


As you have probably already guessed, I thought it was an awesome book! I'm really liking The New 52 Superman, just look at my review of Superman Unchained. Now, I'm not saying that this is a better version of Supes (wouldn't want to offend anyone), I just think that this action-packed take on Superman is very entertaining. Of course, I also love the traditional Superman, I'm actually also collecting The Adventures of Superman, as well as slowly building up my Superman back issues.

Anyway, this first issue is a very promising start to the series. Similar to Superman Unchained, it is very action heavy, which I think is great, and makes for some epic panels and splash pages! However, this series seems to add an extra layer, something that (so far) Superman Unchained does not really have. Along with the action, there is also the personal and emotional element of storytelling added to this book, as shown in the scenes that involve the Superman/Wonder Woman relationship. 

Actually, the authors make great use of that side of the story, layering it over the action scenes. In particular, this makes the last panel of this issue very impactful, which has me desperate for the next issue (helped along by the fact that the artwork is epic in this panel!) 

One issue in, and this series looks like it should be great. It is definitely on my pull list!

No comments:

Post a Comment