Friday 18 October 2013

Lights, Camera, Action! (Or, pens, paper and... uh... action!)

So, I've just finished reading the first three issues of 'Superman Unchained', and thought I'd share my thoughts on them.



Well, the first thought is "Wow!" As you can see, I have the Director's Cut version of #1. This is due to the fact that every comic shop I went into near me was sold out of the standard #1. However, I am actually glad I have this version, for a few reasons.
Firstly, the art is unbelievable! The fact that it isn't coloured in, and is just the bare bones sketching actually looks great. Secondly, the second half of the book is a reprint of the story script that Scott sent to Jim Lee, Matt Idelson and Chris Conroy. I found it fascinating to read the script version of the story, and to see how much thought actually goes into creating something like this. Also, it's great to see the respect Scott has for Lee's work, as he says in a number of places that Lee is free to change anything if he has something better.

The iceing on the cake for the Director's Cut version are the few pages of artwork at the back, that show all the variant covers for the first issue. Some great covers!

Now, my opinion on the actual stories....Well, in relation to the title of this post, these three issues are more like a movie than any other comic I've read. Right from the off, the books are filled with Hollywood style action. The scene with the falling space station is awesome! 

The second issue also starts off straight away with the action, and I think the way that the tension is built up by Superman narrating the seconds ticking by really pulls you into the story. Of course, the fact that Batman also features in this issue adds another splash of epic to the book!

Finally, in the third issue, Superman comes face to face with Wraith, and it makes for a damn cool scene. Much like the last two issues, there is a heavy emphasis on action. There is however, a bit more dialogue in this issue, as we get a brief history of where Wraith came from. Unfortunately, Scott doesn't give us a lot here, so perhaps we will find out more in later issues. At the end of the book, Wraith makes quite a foreboding statement, which certainly has me excited for the next installment!

Overall, I have really enjoyed these first few books of The New 52 style Superman. The action flows very well, and never makes for a dull moment. It actually makes for quite a lot of awesome scenes, with some seriously epic panels! 

What have you thought of the Superman Unchained series so far? It'd be great to hear other people's opinions, so drop a comment if you can!



No comments:

Post a Comment