Monday 14 October 2013

And so it begins......

Hello there!

Thank you for checking out my blog, I hope you'll find it interesting ('cause that means you'll stay!).

I'm going to try not waffle on for this post, but basically, this is my first blog, and I started it really just to keep up to date with the comic scene, hopefully entertain people, and post some reviews of comics I'm reading (and post lots of lovely photos of my collection...as it slowly grows!)

When I was a kid, I used to collect some comics, but these were mainly uk reprints sold in newsagents. However, one evening a few weeks ago, as I hurried along to the bus stop on my way home from college, head bent against the chill wind, I saw something yellow and black in the corner of my eye. I stopped, turned around, and noticed a sandwich board sign with the classic Batman symbol on it, advertising a comic shop upstairs in a building. I experienced a fleeting moment of indecision, then said "Ah what the hell" and started climbing the stairs. Who knew that little phrase would set me off down the slippery slope of obsessive collecting......

So anyway, I went into the shop, and it was beautiful. It was heaven. Boxes, boxes of comics everywhere. Literally thousands, tens of thousands of comics! I said hello to the (very) friendly staff, and began to browse.....

I left the shop a while later, my wallet lighter and some comics in my bag. That was my first experience of what is now my beloved local comic shop. I literally have to force myself not to go in there some days. .....It's hard.....

Ok, so I hope you're still with me. Time for some pictures now!

Here is my humble collection so far ( I have only been collecting for, what, three weeks? Not too bad...It will grow, oh believe me it will grow!)



Here are just some of the sections to my collection so far. First up is Batman.



Next we have the Punisher ( I picked up all five of the Punisher War Zone single issues last Friday, great condition too!)


I have also picked up the first two issues of The Star Wars. I still have to read them yet, but they look great, and are a must for someone that loves Star Wars and comics ( i.e me)


And now we move onto some Superman issues! I don't even know how, but it seems I have become a big fan of collecting superman comics. I'll be honest, I never used to like Superman as a kid, but y'know how it is, you just buy one comic, that turns into two, then you collect all of Funeral for a Friend, you start hunting down Doomsday issues, you're on about three different Superman titles ( I actually am on three!), then it gets really bad when you start getting duplicate issues, one unopened collector's set, one to read......Maybe I should seek help now.




So there is a quick tour of my collection to date! Before I wrap this post up, I'll show you a nice classic story arc that I just had to pick up.





All four parts of A Death in the Family, all NM condition, and all ( I think) 1st prints! They just look so good..... Haven't read the story yet, as the last of the four to arrive in the post (actually the first part) only came today, but can't wait to read them! I'll post my opinions on them once I've read them.

Oh yes, last thing! Here is my work desk, which I like to display three comics on ( I usually rotate them every week). At the moment they are Amazing Spider-Man #529-531, the lead up to Civil War. Picked them up along with the other Spider-Man Civil War tie-ins on Friday (Friday was a costly day on the bank balance).



So that's all for now, I really hope I didn't bore you to tears and that you'll be back for my next post! Feel free to comment, that would be great. 

To leave you with a quote (that will most likely be very accurate for me in later years, the way I'm going) from the legendary Comic Book Guy: 
"I've spent my entire life doing nothing but collecting comic books... and now there's only time to say... LIFE WELL SPENT!"
Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment